The portfolio is an excellent way to enhance a chance of getting the project and showing your professional skills. If you did not yet have a job contract on Upwork, showcase your talents with some sample jobs. Do a project that you think is useful for some potential clients to see. Another way is to upload files from the jobs you have done for previous clients that are not related to Upwork.
To create a portfolio on Upwork, you should go to your profile page and in the -Portfolio- part. After that, you should click on +, and the page for creating a portfolio will open.
- Add project. The project title should be something that represents a short description of the project that you finished. Example for the title: Website design for Language Company, Photoshoot for B brand, LinkedIn and CrunchBase Employee Research, etc. Those are some examples, but try to get the main keywords from your project and use them in the title. Choose -Related Specialized Profile-, and -Related Upwork Job-. Related Upwork Job is optional, but if you want to connect a specific job to the portfolio, you should know some details. If the portfolio’s work is from the previous client, you should first ask the client to add it to your portfolio. Some clients require not to publish details of the job, and other clients can report you to Upwork if they see that you post work details without asking them previously. The completion date is when you finished your job if you link the contract with the portfolio.
- Select template. “Choose how you want this project displayed to clients. You can always switch templates, even after you publish.“(Upwork) In this part, you can choose Gallery, Case Study, or Classic portfolio template.
- Gallery is a template where you can upload images or videos to represent your work. This template is suitable for photographers, video editors, or web designers. Besides a cover image, you can upload high-quality project pictures. “Upload .jpg, .gif, or .png images up to 10MB each. Images will be displayed at 690px wide, at maximum. You can also embed YouTube or Vimeo videos.“(Upwork) The next step is to select the specific services and skills you demonstrated while working on this project. It depends on the professional field, but the details are about the service type, used tools, business size experience, etc. Add the project URL is optional, and a detailed project description is mandatory. The description part is essential to add details about the project, the skills you have implemented, your obligations, and your achievements.
- A Case Study template tells a story about your project by framing the problem you set out to solve and the solution you came up with. Add the role for that project. -Project Task/Challenge- is where you describe the problem you addressed in your project. After uploading a portfolio image or video, you can add – Project Solution – where you write about the solutions you made for the project problem. Other info that you can add is the same as in the Gallery portfolio template.
- Classic template allows a client to scroll through your work. You should choose this template if you add files besides images or videos, such as documents and spreadsheets. Files which are accepted are .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, .ppt, .gif, and .png. Unsupported files are .ade, .adp, .bat, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .exe, .hta, .ins, .isp, .jar, .jse, .lib, .lnk, .mde, .msc, .msp, .mst, .pif, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .bs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh, and .zip file type is not currently supported for iOS devices. Other data that need to fill in is almost the same as in Gallery and Case Study portfolio templates.
After filling in all necessary details, you can click on –Preview Gallery– to look at how your portfolio will look after you publish it. If you are satisfied, click on -Publish- and the project portfolio will be displayed on your Upwork profile. If you want to remove the portfolio, you can go to -Portfolio- part on your Upwork profile and click on the trash can icon. This icon appears when you move the cursor over a specific portfolio project. You can also update the portfolio project with all options you had when creating it.